Symptoms of Pet Allergies
Signs of an allergic reaction in your pet may vary depending on the cause. Dust, grasses, trees, pollens, mold, dander, mites, fleas, yeast, or foods, all present different symptoms. Dogs and cats can both suffer from allergies, but often symptoms are more difficult for cat owners to identify. Typical symptoms of pet allergic reactions include:
Any of the symptoms listed above can indicate an allergic reaction. Stone Ridge Veterinary Medical Center recommends an examination if you notice any signs or symptoms your pet is having an allergic reaction. If untreated, these conditions can become more serious health issues.
- Runny eyes/nose, sneezing
- Diarrhea, chronic abdominal discomfort
- Eating grass
- Chewing at feet
- Dandruff or scabbing
- Hair loss
- Hotspots or lesions
- Shaking of the head
- Inflamed, uncomfortable, twitching ears
- Odor from the skin or ears
Pet Allergy Evaluation
At Stone Ridge Veterinary Medical Center, we perform allergy testing and provide a customized treatment plan to provide relieffrom allergy symptoms. We begin by discussing your pet’s condition with you to obtain an accurate history, followed by a physical exam, and diagnostic testing to confirm the diagnosis.
Veterinary Allergy Testing
Allergy testing may consist of blood tests, skin samples, or elimination diets. Various conditions require specific treatments. Detaileddiagnosis allows us to treat the condition quickly and efficiently.
- Allergy blood tests—detect and measure the antibodies that trigger allergy symptoms.
- Skin and ear surface cytology—identifies bacteria, yeast issues, or mites.
- Pet Allergy Treatments
- We will ensure your pet receives a treatment plan tailored to their specific needs and addresses the underlying cause of your pet’s condition. Treatment options may include:
- Immunotherapy treatments—drops or injections administered at home
- Medicated shampoos
- Prescription diets
- Specialized medications
- Ointments or sprays
The Stone Ridge Veterinary Medical Center staff is experienced in the diagnosis and treatment of food allergens. We customize a foodelimination trial to properly identify the underlying cause of your pet’s allergy, while ensuring your dog’s nutritional needs are met. Based on the results, we will prescribe the proper food and supplement options for your pet.